Jersey City E-Scooter Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in an e-scooter accident, help is available. You may be eligible for financial compensation for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income, and other losses. Discuss your case in detail with a Jersey City e-scooter accident attorney at Brady Reilly & Cardoso, LLC today for more information about your legal options. We have almost 50 years of experience representing those injured by the careless and reckless actions of others.
Top Causes of E-Scooter Accidents in New Jersey
Electric scooters, also known as e-scooters, have risen in popularity in New Jersey and all over the world with the launch of e-scooter sharing companies. The global leaders in rentable dockless e-scooters are Lime and Bird, but you will currently only find the Manhattan-based company, White Fox, in Jersey City. Although advertised as fun and easy to ride, e-scooters are behind many serious and catastrophic traffic collisions.
Common causes of e-scooter accidents include:
- Distracted driving/driver inattention
- Texting and driving
- Drunk or reckless drivers
- Ignoring e-scooter rights-of-way
- Unsafe left-hand turns
- Car accidents
- Inexperienced e-scooter riders
- Dangerous road defects, such as cracks or potholes
- E-scooter part defects and malfunctions
If you were injured while riding a White Fox or another type of e-scooter in Jersey City, you may have grounds to file a claim against the at-fault party. You will have to navigate New Jersey’s no-fault insurance system, however, in your pursuit of financial compensation.
What Are Your Legal Options After an E-Scooter Accident in New Jersey?
An accident while riding an e-scooter can cause serious injuries, including bone fractures, organ damage, concussions, soft-tissue injuries, lacerations, road rash, and spinal cord injuries. The costs associated with an e-scooter accident, including medical bills and lost wages, can be immense. Your options for financial recovery after an e-scooter accident in Jersey City will depend on the facts of your case. You may be able to file a:
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance claim. Most auto accidents in New Jersey result in first-party insurance claims due to the state’s no-fault law. This law requires injured accident victims to seek benefits through their own insurance providers, regardless of fault, with exceptions for serious injuries or if the victim chose the “unlimited right to sue” insurance option.
- Third-party insurance claim. If your injuries meet New Jersey’s serious injury threshold or you have a standard (rather than basic) insurance plan, you can bring a lawsuit against the at-fault party instead of filing a no-fault insurance claim. This legal remedy is only available for victims with broken bones, serious scarring or disfigurement, and permanent injuries.
- Product liability lawsuit. If an investigation finds that a defect with your e-scooter, such as a software glitch, caused or contributed to your accident, you may have grounds to file a product liability lawsuit against the e-scooter manufacturer or distributor.
Choose the best legal option for you and your case by consulting with an attorney in Jersey City. The Jersey City e-scooter accident lawyers at Brady Reilly & Cardoso, LLC have decades of experience representing clients and can guide you to the correct legal remedy after an in-depth review of your case.
What if You Were Partially to Blame?
Operating an e-scooter can be frightening and confusing, especially if you are inexperienced. If you believe you made a mistake that contributed to your e-scooter accident, it is still worthwhile to speak to an e-scooter accident attorney. New Jersey is a modified comparative fault state, meaning you could still be eligible for at least partial compensation as long as you were less at fault for the accident than the other party.
Contact a Jersey City E-Scooter Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in an e-scooter accident in Jersey City, please contact us for a free consultation. A driver, the e-scooter company or another party may be financially responsible for your significant injuries and related losses.
At Brady Reilly & Cardoso, LLC, our attorneys have litigated e-scooter accident cases since these vehicles first came to New Jersey. We can make sure your family has what it needs during this difficult time, as well as represent your best interests during an insurance claim or injury trial. Call (201) 997-0030 today for more information about your e-scooter accident case.