Jersey City Slip and Fall Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents are common causes of serious injuries in New Jersey, including hip fractures and concussions. If you were recently injured in a slip and fall accident, our Jersey City slip and fall lawyers can help you protect your rights and pursue financial compensation from a property owner or another party. Discuss your case in detail with one of our attorneys at no cost or obligation today. Request your free consultation at (201) 997-0030.
Why You Should Hire a Jersey City Slip and Fall Attorney
Insurance companies are experts at building legal defenses and avoiding large payouts. An insurance company will try many different tactics to protect its own bottom line, including devaluing your injuries, claiming that you have pre-existing injuries or wrongfully denying your claim. You cannot depend on an insurance company to treat your slip and fall claim fairly. You can, however, protect yourself by hiring a slip and fall attorney.
A Jersey City slip and fall accident attorney can handle all of the legal and insurance aspects of your premises liability case. Among other things, your lawyer can investigate your fall, address your concerns, determine the defendant, prepare evidence and build a compelling injury claim on your behalf. The right Jersey City personal injury attorney can also represent you at court, if necessary, for maximum financial recovery. Most importantly, a lawyer can make you feel heard and seen during the injury claims process.
Common Causes of Slip, Trip and Fall Accidents
One of the first steps in pursuing financial compensation for a fall accident in New Jersey is determining the cause of your slip and fall. The cause of your fall matters, as the person or entity at fault for your fall accident is financially responsible (known as liable in legalese), in most cases. Some of the most common causes of slip, trip and fall accidents in Jersey City are:
- Ice or snow
- Wet or slippery floors
- Greasy floors
- Recently mopped or waxed floors
- Spilled drinks or food
- Cluttered walkways and aisles
- Cracked sidewalks
- Poor lighting
- Exposed cords or wires
- Uneven floor surfaces
- Dangerous staircases
- Loose floorboards
You will only have grounds to file a slip and fall lawsuit in New Jersey if one or more parties reasonably should have prevented your accident, such as a store employee mopping up a spill in a timely manner. A Jersey City slip and fall accident lawyer from Brady Reilly & Cardoso, LLC can provide a comprehensive investigation of your slip and fall accident to look for signs of fault. Then, we can help you go up against the responsible party in pursuit of maximum financial compensation.
Who Is Responsible for a Slip and Fall Accident in New Jersey?
Slip and fall accidents are a type of premises liability claim. Premises liability is a legal concept that holds a property owner financially responsible for any injuries or damages arising out of a defect on that person’s property. These damages can include medical costs, lost income, and pain and suffering.
To have grounds for premises liability claim after a slip and fall accident, you or your slip and fall attorney must have evidence of five main elements:
- The defendant was in control of the property where you fell.
- A defect or hazard on the property caused or significantly contributed to your slip and fall accident.
- The defendant knew or reasonably should have known about the defect or hazard but did nothing to remedy it.
- You were lawfully on private property or on public property at the time of the accident.
- You suffered compensable losses in the accident, such as physical injuries or medical bills.
Proving a slip and fall injury case requires a preponderance of the evidence. This evidentiary standard means enough clear and convincing evidence to establish that the defendant is more likely than not to blame for your accident. In civil law, it is the injured victim’s burden to prove a case, not the defendant’s. A slip and fall accident lawyer can help you by preserving and gathering key evidence to support your case.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in New Jersey
If you slip and fall down in a store, restaurant, bar, office, school or elsewhere, try to remember to take certain actions to protect your legal rights. You can take steps to start building a claim right away, while still at the scene of the accident. These steps include:
- Checking yourself for injuries. Although your first instinct may be to jump back to your feet out of embarrassment, stay where you are and check yourself for any pain, discomfort, swelling, bruising, tingling or numbness. Keep in mind that you may have injuries even if you don’t immediately notice symptoms.
- Reporting the accident. Find a supervisor, store manager or the property owner to report your accident without delay. Explain what happened and ask for an accident report. Request copies of any CCTV video footage that may have caught the fall on tape, as well. Do not accept or admit blame for the accident.
- Documenting your fall. Take photographs of the scene of the accident before you leave, focusing on the hazard or defect that made you slip. Write down the names of any eyewitnesses. While the accident is still fresh in your mind, write your own description of events. Keep the clothes and shoes you were wearing.
- Going to a hospital. Obtain professional medical care in Jersey City immediately, even if you feel fine. You may have hidden or delayed symptoms, especially if you suffered a traumatic brain injury or back injury.
- Meeting with a lawyer. Consult with a Jersey City slip and fall accident attorney before you begin the insurance process. An attorney can help you understand your rights and list your legal options moving forward.
Taking these steps can protect your health and strengthen your premises liability claim. If you are unable to complete all of these steps after your accident, however, don’t worry. An experienced and skilled slip and fall accident lawyer can take over your claim to optimize your odds of success.
Contact Our Jersey City Slip and Fall Attorney
If you or a loved one has a serious injury from a recent slip and fall accident in Jersey City, help is available. The attorneys at Brady Reilly & Cardoso, LLC are passionate advocates for those injured in premises liability accidents throughout New Jersey. Find out how our slip and fall attorneys can help you recover after a slip and fall accident today. Request a free consultation at (201) 997-0030.