What Should I Do If I Am a Passenger in a Rideshare Accident?
Ridesharing companies like Uber and Lyft have made the roads safer and kept people from driving when they are under the influence, drowsy, or in an unfamiliar area. While they provide a valuable service, it is not an infallible one. As a passenger, some things are helpful to do if an accident occurs.
Contributing Factors to Rideshare Accidents
Rideshare accidents can occur for the typical reasons car accidents do. Everything from defective automobile parts to exceeding the speed limit to driving under the influence, Uber and Lyft drivers are as susceptible as the general public.
However, some factors faced by rideshare drivers can contribute to the accidents they are involved in. Distracted driving leads to many car accidents, but the distractions can be more intense for Uber or Lyft drivers.
Uber and Lyft drivers face the following distractions:
- Receiving notifications from their work app
- Monitoring the directions on the GPS
- Talking to clients
- Navigating unfamiliar areas
- Hurrying to drop off the current fare so they can pick up the next one
What To Do If Your Rideshare Driver Has an Accident With You On Board?
If you are in an Uber or Lyft accident, there are certain steps you should take to protect yourself physically and financially. It is in your best interest to do the following after a rideshare accident.
Promptly Seek Medical Help
Seek prompt medical attention. You may not feel injured, but you get checked out. Some injuries are undetectable without diagnostic tests. The surge of adrenaline could affect your ability to detect an injury.
Left undetected or untreated, some injuries can quickly become life-threatening. The old adage, “better safe than sorry,” applies here. By seeing a doctor first thing, you are ensuring you do not have injuries that go untreated, and you are protecting yourself financially.
If an injury did occur and you discover it later, the insurance company may claim that it happened after the accident or that you made the injury worse on your own. For your own good, see a medical professional promptly if you have been in a rideshare accident.
Gather Evidence at the Scene
Following a rideshare accident, if you are physically able, gathering evidence at the scene can demonstrate what happened when you are filing an insurance claim. The following evidence can be helpful to gather:
- Photographs and videos of the scene, such as injuries, road conditions, and property damage
- Note anything unusual, like obstacles or hazards in the road
- Speak with witnesses and get their contact information
- Security or traffic video from the scene can be helpful. Many times security video is not saved very long, so doing this promptly is a good idea.
- Exchange contact information with everyone involved
- Note the tag numbers and insurance information of the people in the accident.
- Note road conditions and weather conditions.
- Get a copy of the police report.
Contact an Attorney
Aside from seeking medical attention, contacting a trusted legal professional is the most important thing you can do following a wreck. Car accident claims involving rideshare companies can be more challenging to navigate than a typical car accident since multiple insurance companies and coverage variations are offered. An experienced rideshare accident attorney from Brady, Reilly & Cardoso, LLC, is ready to help.
Reach out today for a free consultation. We will be happy to discuss what we can do to protect your rights as an Uber or Lyft passenger involved in an accident. We will ensure you understand all of your options and help you pursue maximum compensation.